Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Out With The Old, In With The New

I had my last day of my old job on Friday. It went mercifully fast, especially since it was an "early out" day, so I left at two o'clock. I hugged all of my co-workers, the last of the Mohicans, the three women that make up the entire front line of the department now. I had lunch with my good friend Dan ("Nicnerd"), and soon after, the day was over.

Yesterday, I walked into my new job, just a few miles from my old one. I had an orientation, and got a nice new laptop. First impressions? I was in a less technical department of a more technical company, and now I am in a more technical department in a less technical company. For a non-technical company, their tech that they give to employees is much more impressive than what I had at my old company. I also feel like I am among a lot more "serious career" type of people. Nobody is just on a small "stepping stone" or just killing time at a "job". It's refreshing. These are all people that are "going places", and going there now. I have many, many more observations, but I will save those for later. So much to absorb. Until later...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear it's going good for you so far, bro! Aren't the laptops here peachy keen?

Erik Grow said...

Thank you Imara! So far I have seen no indication that it won't! I'm definitely happy with it, but I am also definitely being kept busy getting tons of information to cram into my head. It's a challenge, which is a nice change.

DCPunk, yeah they definitely are! They must have a sweet deal with Dell! (As a little background, DCPunk and I worked together years ago at my old job for about a year or so. We now work in different departments in the same company once again about five years later, which I didn't know until I already accepted the new job.)

nicnerd said...

Ughhhhh, you're gettin' a Dell.

If they loved you, they would give you a Powerbook. Tell them you are going to have to quit unless they give you a real laptop post-haste.

Paul Mitchell said...

I too had problems with Dell. I got a Micron laptop about four years ago and can do anything on it that a new Powerbook can do and then some.

Has Mac come out with any new software other than label makers in the last five years? And Mac still can't run AutoCAD, the architect's standard drafting program since before history.

Anonymous said...

Go fist yourself. :)






Oh, congratulations slacker.